Sunday, February 20, 2011

By A Thread

We're all familiar with the ole saying "they need to cut the apron strings" and that is certainly the goal we are working to achieve, but while I welcomed the day I could pass the torch of responsibility off to our boys, I have to admit that when it comes to their finances I can't seem to cut that thread. Whether it's helping them keep an eye on their checking account balance, or reminding them to get their rent money together for that 3 bedroom apartment, it is hard to let go.
Just as I start to seriously consider mustering up the courage to cut the thread an incoming call from one of our boys re-affirms why it can be handy for me to still be involved with their finances. While I don't remember every word my child left on my voice mail the phrases "lost my wallet" and "should I call the bank" is all that registered in my brain before returning his call with light speed abilities. After getting all the facts I instructed him to get to the bank, which is conveniently located on his college campus, so they could begin to cancel his debit card and check for any unauthorized usage on his account. Upon the suggestion of the college campus branch, I went to work to help set up a new checking account at the bank near our house. The fact that both my child's name and mine were on the account allowed for a very timely and smooth interception to protect his account.
The story doesn't end there. By the end of the day my son tells me he received a facebook message from a fellow UCF student he didn't know telling him he had found his wallet! Through this connection my son went to met this wonderful young man at his apartment to retrieve his wallet. They are now facebook friends. How cool to see God use honesty and technology to answer a prayer.
I am truly grateful for the honesty, effort and genuine concern this fellow showed my son. It was also a reminder to me that my God is in control - not me.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Jo! Always enjoy hearing your stories, then reading about them on here. It's my education for the future when my kids reach the scary "cars and bank accounts" age!

    ReplyDelete