Saturday, May 8, 2010

Spoiled Pets

I recently purchased a new bird cage for my boys two cockatiel's from a nearby pet store going out of business. Since the two smaller cages we were using for them were being held together with duck tape, and since the birds spend all day together anyway, I upgraded to one bigger cage they could share. Upon the first sight of this large cage entering their room you could see the curiosity in their eyes and hear the sounds of questions in their chirps. With the feathers on their head standing straight up they watched me as I set up the new pad. Once I had everything in place I introduced the perplexed birds to their new home.


Cautiously they entered the cage, their eyes taking in everything inch by inch. Fear turned into curiosity as they began to notice toys hanging all around, and I could not help but parallel them with kids as they had to go to each toy and touch it or test it out. As they made their way to the top of the cage this ladder I set up to serve as a perch became the favorite spot for BOTH birds, squabbling over the "special" seat. Oh the memories of watching my kids fight over the SAME toy when they were little.....



Our other spoiled pet is "her royal highness" our cat, Angel, who really serves as our watch dog with a grumpy disposition toward everyone but her family. In her eyes she owns our boys, and now that they are home from college for the summer she has been a happy kitty. However it has thrown a change in her daily routine, and her bed (which is really my son John's bed when he comes home) is occupied.

One morning she was acting all "unsatisfied" following my husband around wanting something. He gave her food, fresh water, he put her on our bed, let her go outside in the screened porch, and she still just kept following us giving us that intense LOOK. Finally I looked over and there she was sitting in the hallway leading to the boys rooms starring a hole in us. I walked over to John's room (aka: Angel's room) opened the door and she walked right in like she was a part of some royal entourage, she saw John in the bed and stopped, looking puzzled like a scene in the Three Bears fairy tale (Someone's sleeping in MY bed....). But she soon enough accepted to share the mattress with John and curled up in her usual place finally satisfied.

Good thing I didn't spoil my kids in this same mannor or they would be impossible to live with....

2 comments:

  1. Your blog email update worked. :) Although you had verbally told me this story last week, I enjoyed the way you put it into words on your blog and seeing the photos of the new cage and "Your highness" on her throne! She's such an angel *sarcastic smile*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great I am glad that it worked! I actually copied and pasted a portion of my email to you for my blog.

    ReplyDelete